The high prevalence of obesity (class III) and greater recognition that weight loss surgery is a safe and effective treatment sees more individuals presenting for care. For those of us working in a bariatric surgery team it’s rewarding to see more patients embrace dietary change to improve their health and quality of life. This increasing demand for our expertise does present challenges, especially as we aim to maintain the quality of our dietetic care.
As our clinics reach capacity it can be tricky to:
- Find alternative appointments when patients forgot to attend or need to reschedule;
- Offer extra dietetic time to complex patients who require more support;
- Maintain job satisfaction due the repetitive nature of some activities such as education on perioperative dietary prescriptions (VLED, nourishing fluids, puree and staged transition to normal foods).
- Dedicate time to quality projects to enhance service delivery.
- Dedicate time to professional development.
The EatRight 90 day Transition
The EatRight 90 day Transition has been developed to address some of these challenges. This on-line 12-week program provides comprehensive education on all perioperative dietary prescriptions (VLED, nourishing fluids, puree and staged transition to normal foods).
Patients subscribe to EatRight 90 day Transition to receive:
- Standardised weekly education for all peri-operative dietary prescriptions over 12 weeks
- An individualised daily protein target
- Access to infographics and videos that reinforce key nutrition messages
- Photographic meal plans that identify key nutrients (and deficits)
- Advice on the prevention of vitamin & mineral deficiencies